Using effective visual models is one of the most important activities to do when you’re introducing combining like terms. Use these digital manipulative visual models to help your students practice using algebra tiles when learning about combining like terms.
Students may struggle to understand algebra. Many students will understand combining like terms after seeing them and combining them with the digital manipulatives.
In this lesson, students will use the digital manipulatives to create visual models to learn about combining like terms. And, they’ll begin to make visual connections. This visual connection and the use of digital manipulatives will help your students succeed. (Common Core Standard 6.EE.A.3, 7.EE.A.1)
Benefits of Combining Like Terms with Algebra Tiles
Students will have the opportunity to use digital manipulatives to work with combining like terms as they learn about algebra.
The included activities can be completed digitally. They will prepare you to teach the standards (6.EE.A.3, 7.EE.A.1) through digital “hands-on” learning.
You’ll also save time by using the pre-made activities. And the completed activities make for a great formative assessment or an artifact for student portfolios.
- Low Floor, High Ceiling Math Task
- Digital Activity with Digital Manipulatives
- Supports Deep Conceptual Understanding
- Aligned to Standards (6.EE.A.3, 7.EE.A.1)
- Promotes Student Discourse
- Minimal Prep Time
- Easy to Edit and Create More Activities
These Combining Like Terms with Algebra Tiles activities contain everything you need to teach this lesson with minimal prep time:
- Editable Google Slides activity – added to your Google Drive
- Practice problems with manipulatives that are ready to go
- Video: How to edit Google Master Slides